Monday, December 1, 2014

Blessings of the temple

Letter from November 17, 2014


Dear Family,


This week has been such a blur.. Sister Walton and I sat down to plan last night and realized, "Oh my, tomorrow is PDAY!" When I heard other missionaries say that the weeks pick up after about 3 months out, I didn't really think it'd be true for me. But lo and behold, I feel like my time with Sister Walton has passed in the blink of an eye. We only have 3 weeks left together! I am getting so nervous for transfers coming up. 


This coming weekend we're having a special showing of "Meet the Mormons" at the church building here in Havasu. Since the movie didn't come to theaters here, President Snow is coming down with his copy that he showed us missionaries at interviews, so that everyone here can see it for FREE! We are so thrilled about it; we'll be projecting it on a screen in the church gym, and we'll have popcorn and lemonade for everyone. We've been telling EVERYONE about it... investigators and members and street contacts alike! We'll have a showing Friday night and Saturday afternoon. I can't wait to see people's reactions to it! Did any of your friends go see it? 

Yesterday we got to participate in the Phoenix Temple Dedication. Oh, it was so special. Arizona has really become a special place for me, and I'm so glad I got to be here at such an exciting time. We sat by Toni, who hasn't been to the temple yet since her baptism in June.  She was weepy the moment she sat down in pew, and it was so special to experience the dedication with her. She leaned over to me as we sat watching the video of the temple rooms before the service and said: "It is so beautiful. I just feel so much happiness and peace. It's like everything there is good. Everything is as it should be." I was touched by her words. She is right: that is exactly what it feels like in the temple when we attend worthily. I can't wait for her to go through and receive her own endowment next year. 

There were 3 dedicatory services - we went to the 2nd one at 1:00. President Uchtdorf conducted (We're so lucky to have heard so much from him lately!). He shared some thoughts on what he's learned in the temple. Here are the scribble of notes I got as he spoke... He said:

"Above all, I learned in the temple about divine principles that have prepared me for life. I've learned that in the eyes of God, all people are equal. I've learned about the glory and majesty of the Creation of the Earth. It is in the temple that we see the true nature of it all. We can more easily recognize and discern Satan and his deceptions. I've learned about the nature of man and woman and their divine destiny. In the temple things become plain and clear. I've recognized the courage and nobleness of Adam and Eve. I've learned about the importance of moral agency and the responsibility and accountability we have of keeping commandments. If you attend monthly or weekly, if possible, you will feel the promise of peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come." 

I am so grateful for the blessings of the temple, and especially for the privilege of having so many throughout the world in these latter days. I believe in making and keeping covenants with God. I believe in the literal power and peace that fills our lives and our hearts as we do so. I believe God has given us temples so we can see and understand clearly His plan and His purposes. I also believe that it is in temples that we draw the closest to heaven that we can here on Earth. 

Have a wonderful week. I love you!!

With love,
Sister Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment